Saturday, February 28, 2009

DIY Breakfast room molding and valances

There is a good chance your sitting down so I shouldn't have to say it - but just in case - you better sit down for this one. Thats right - hot of the presses - Bonnie put up molding around the windows in the breakfast room and the living room by herself. (well for the most part I did have the kids hold the boards on occasion.) I didn't stop there - I even used a 84x40 inch curtain panel and made two valances. Now this was not a 10 min DIY project to up date your breakfast room. I started out with different valances, then I ordered 3 in this pattern from Pennys. But they were only 40" long and I needed 48" for my smaller window once I added the molding. After mulling that over for a week I came up with the idea of ordering the one panel and cutting it down the middle. That way I would have a finished edge for both windows and the 84" would be long enough for my bigger window. I kicked around the idea of attaching some trim at the end but really my style is not too fussy. Our decor is more of a easy living coastal feel. So no extra dinglys. Larry also hung a new light fixture for me and we moved the ceiling fan to Makayla's bedroom. I am currently working on hanging valances in the living room using bamboo table runners I found at Target. That has been a project Ive been working on for a couple weeks as well but the kids and I were so traumatized by the liquid nails, hot glue gun and super glue that it has been a forbidden subject. We all have the glue off of our fingers and can feel again. And I now have the right equipment. The breakfast room as given me the confidence I need to carry on. All these women in blog land that change a room in 10 mins or less I don't like you. Well really I do - if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have even tried this. I know I must be better at something than them. I have issues....




7 comments:

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

That looks FANTASTIC!!! You did an amazing job! :) The molding adds SO much, and the valances look incredible!!! Great job :)!! I also like the paint colors you chose, everything looks beautiful!
The bamboo valances sound so cool, you'll have to post pics when you're done.
Blessings,
Stacey

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Bonnie, I'm SO proud of you, go girl! Looks great & I really like that Linden St. fabric you did on the cornice. What a great job & a huge difference. I'm not much for 10 minute jobs either, my projects take a lot longer than that.

Thanks for sharing!

CarJax said...

Hi Bons, You did a great job and I am proud of you too! :O) It looks beautiful. Can't wait to see your next DIY project. Much love, Jax

P.S. My big project today is the office. I'm giving myself mini computer breaks to keep me going. :O)

Barb said...

HiBonnie,great job and new look. Any chance you want to come and redecorate my windows,or how about whole house?? As you know I rarely change any thing or even move to a new location. I am looking for light house things to add to the Seward cottage tho so that will be fun!!! Keep sharing Love, mom

Mer said...

Looks really good!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Look at YOU!!! I am so impressed, so proud of you for doing this. It wasn't that bad, was it? What a difference too. I love the fabric. Love the molding too. You did great!! (Thanks for letting me know.)

Christine said...

Oh I likie what ya did here...you put the trim up???? wow looks really good! Now it is tea time with us !...lol hugs and have a wonderful day!